mitchell

Does xc90 plug-in recharge battery with ICE?

Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:38 pm

I don't know if anyone has this information yet because the vehicle isn't for sale.... yet :)

The Porsche Cayenne S E-Hybrid can recharge the battery pack full from the internal combustion engine, and I'm wondering if the T8 can do the same thing?

drmanny3

Re: Does xc90 plug-in recharge battery with ICE?

Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:46 pm

As I understand when the drive mode is in Hybrid then the battery is recharged from both braking/slowing down as well as some from the ICE. However It does not appear that the ICE will completely recharge the battery. I know on the Mitsubishi you can completely recharge the battery (slightly larger than ours) via the ICE and braking. My sense is that it behaves a bit like my Toyota Highlander Hybrid which had a very small drive battery. When you drain off the drive battery the engine ICE will send some juice to the battery. I am not sure of the circumstances. I believe on the Highlander that under acceleration that there is some recharging of the battery. That is an interesting area. The T8 has the ICE supply the front wheels with drive. The rear is driven only by the drive battery. As with most automotive drive batteries you never completely discharge or charge it. More like it drops down to 20% capacity or goes up to around 80% capacity. Batteries prefer that rather than completely empty or completely full. Perhaps others can chime in.
Manny

drmanny3

Re: Does xc90 plug-in recharge battery with ICE?

Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:37 pm

I have verified that you can charge the battery while you drive. It is an option. Works pretty decently.

Return to “Technical Discussions”