stensby

Aside from Tesla Model X, any other 7 seat EV capable SUVs?

Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:39 am

I know the Volvo xc90 T8 plug-in hybrid has a third row seat, but the other new plug-in hybrid SUVs that have come to market don't.

Am I missing any? Or for a family with 4 kids am I limited to the Tesla Model X or the Volvo T8? Just want to get all my comparisons done before purchasing :)

Volvo xc90 T8 - 7 seats
Tesla Model X - 7 seats

BMX x5 eDrive - 5 seats
Audi Q7 e-Tron - 5 seats
Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV (when it finally comes) - 5 seats

XC90 T8 with third row seats folded flat has tons of storage space

drmanny3

Re: Aside from Tesla Model X, any other 7 seat EV capable SUVs?

Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:40 pm

I had a Toyota Highlander Hybrid Limited Platinum Edition on Lease that was expiring this Oct. So I have been looking for a Plug-in replacement. We have a Chevy Bolt so I have the EV part covered. I consider the Tesla X, Porsche Cayman, The Audi Q7, Mitsubishi PHEV, Toyota Highlander Hybrid, and Jag as well as Range Rover. The actual third-row seat is not important to me only the overall space in back. We have a large Great Pyrenees that needs to fit into the rear. I also wanted to have air conditioning vents in the rear if possible.

I had a Mitsubishi Phev GT ordered but decided that it would not work because it did not have even rear seat air conditioning outlets. It was roomy enough in the back for our dog. Another Toyota was off the list as I was bored and wanted something different. The Toyota was an excellent vehicle. The Volvo XC 60 T8 appeared to have a smaller back room area than the Mitsubishi so it fell out. I had hoped it would work as the price was cheaper than the XC90 T8. Finally, I found a 2017 T8 that had everything I wanted at a price I could justify. The Tesla X was nice but did not have as useful a rear end area as one might expect. It really is not an SUV more like a Crossover Hatchback. The roof drops down and thus impacts the overall height in the back-not good for a big dog. The Porsche was interesting but fell out of favor as it did not qualify for the Diamond Lane Sticker in California for some reason. I understood that the emissions were just too high? The Audi did not have a Plug-in that I was able to find. So really the Volvo was the best fit.

admin
Site Admin

Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:26 pm

DrManny3 - thanks for sharing!

There are still very few SUV style choices that have any sort of plug, and although often overlooked (or even unknown), I really think the Volvo T8 is one of the most 'useful' out of all of them, as you've outlined in your detailed comment.

drmanny3

Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:16 pm

Honda as a third row seat and received reviews suggesting it was more accommodating than the third row in the Highlander. However, the Highlander won out in driving dynamics. Honda is now saying that they will come out with a hybrid or plug-in hybrid model of the Pilot. When I looked further into this story I found that Honda is talking around 2020 before they produce their hybrid/plug-in. So there are very few plug-in SUVs available at this time, especially ones with third row seating. When you get into third row seating you are upping the game as the size gets larger. There is a lot they can do with the CUVs or the two row seating SUVs. As I drive the T8 I am pleased with the technology that the Swedes employed. Well thought out. My center stack is a bit buggy, but I will have the latest update installed and that should help. I don't believe that I have ever had as comfortable a driving seat as the Inscription model of the T8 offers. The lumbar adjustments are just superb.

Return to “Technical Discussions”